|Sport||Sportswriter, columnist and Sports Editor|
Jack Gatecliff was the Sportswriter, columnist and Sports Editor for the St. Catharines Standards for an incredible 43 years, until his retirement in 1991. He was Past President for Ontario Sportswriters and Broadcaster’s Association and a past Chairman of St. Catharines Parks & Recreation Commission. Gatecliff was the winner of seventeen Western Ontario Humour and Sportwriting awards! Not only did he write about sports, he played! He played on 2 Ontario Championship Lacrosse Teams, 1 Senior Championship Lacrosse Team, St. Catharines Falcons O.H.A Jr “A” Hockey team and Paisley Pirates Hockey Team Scotland, All Canadian League. He also furthered his career and interests through becoming the Chairman of the Sports Committee for the St. Catharines Museum. Lastly, Gatecliff was Master of Ceremonies, Knights of Columbus—Shrine Sports Celebrity Dinner for 25 years. Jack Gatecliff passed away on 05 September, 2000.
- Ontario Sports writers and Broadcaster’s Association
- Parks and Recreation Commission
- St. Catharines Standard
- Sports Committee
- St. Catharines Falcons
- Paisley Pirates Hockey Team Scotland
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Western Ontario Humor and Sportwriting—17 awards
- Inducted into the Ontario and Canadian Lacrosse Halls of Fame as a previous player with the Mann Cup Champions – St. Catharines Athletics
- Made a member of the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame in 1998.